Looking for ways to promote professional development? Help your teachers become Microsoft Innovative Educator (MIE) Experts. A MIE Expert is the last rung on Microsoft’s Innovative Educator program’s certification ladder. The journey starts by becoming a Microsoft Innovative Educator, then there’s also an option to become a MIE Trainer, and finally with earning the MIE Expert certification. These education specialists are skilled at integrating technology in the classroom. MIE Experts work hand-in-hand with Microsoft to lead innovation in education, advocate for the effective use of technology in the classroom, share ideas with a global network of peers and become thought leaders in the EdTech space.
Joining the program is easy. The self-nomination tool is open year-round. Your teachers can nominate themselves at any time but the announcement isn’t made until August when Microsoft posts the official list.
- Step 1: Make sure to join the Microsoft Educator Community and complete your profile. Keep in mind, you will need to submit the URL to your public profile as a part of the nomination process. You can find your URL by going into Edit Profile and looking under “basic information.”
- Step 2: You must earn 1,000 points on the Microsoft Educator Community and become a Certified MIE Once again, you must be a Certified MIE to become (or stay) an MIE Expert. Although you do not need to be a MIE Trainer to become an MIE Expert.
- Step 3: Create a 2-minute video or Sway that answers the following questions in a manner that creatively expresses what makes you a Microsoft Innovative Educator Expert. To share the video/Sway in your nomination, you will need to post it somewhere that allows you to create a URL to share it.
The questions are:
- Why do you consider yourself to be a Microsoft Innovative Educator Expert?
- Describe how you have incorporated Microsoft technologies in innovative ways in your classroom. Include artifacts that demonstrate your innovation. Your examples should demonstrate that you have cultivated a strong 21st century teaching and learning environment.
- How have you impacted the learning and growth of your colleagues? Have you reached beyond your classroom to coach/support other teachers in their growth?
- If you become a MIE-Expert, how do you hope it will impact your current role in the next 12 months?
Once these three tasks are completed, the educator simply fills out this self-nomination form. MIE Experts have access to all sorts of opportunities like, professional and career development opportunities and certifications, speaking, training or coaching colleagues, participating in focus groups for Microsoft products, testing new Microsoft products and collaborating with innovative educators around the globe. Help your teachers get the most out of their knowledge of technology in the classroom and earn this badge of honor.