Tech tools for education are as essential today as pencils and paper. If you’re an educator that knows how to use tech like Google Apps for Education in the classroom there are programs that offer certifications for this ability. One of the most recognized is the Google Certified Educator program, which was designed for educators and classroom teachers who demonstrate proficiency using Google for Education tools.
Why should you be a Google Certified Educator?
The Certified Educator program not only validates learning, but it offers several other benefits as well. Being a Google Certified Educator means:
- You gain confidence with digital learning strategies and Google tools.
- You gain access to content that’s focused on classroom integration.
- You can create a paperless classroom.
- You can increase student digital learning.
- You can measure your impact.
- You can engage in professional growth and leadership.
- And, you can increase efficiency and save time.
Now that you’ve decided become a Google Certified Educator, the next step is determining the level you should obtain certification in.
What level of Google Certified Educator should you be?
The Certified Educator program is offered at four levels, a Google Certified Educator Level 1, Level 2 and Google Certified Trainer and Innovator. Each level requires varying degrees of dedication on your part. According to Google For Education,
- Google Certified Educator Level 1 and 2: Level 1 status indicates that an educator is able to successfully implement G Suite for Education into their teaching practice in order to enhance teaching and learning. The Level 2 status indicates that an educator is able to successfully integrate a wider range of Google for Education tools and other technologies in order to transform their teaching practice.
- Google for Education Certified Trainer: Google for Education Certified Trainers are passionate and driven education professionals with a desire to help others transform classrooms with technology. Whether you are a school’s go-to technologist, a stellar classroom teacher or an enterprising consultant, anyone is welcome to apply for membership in the program.
- Google for Education Certified Innovator: This is designed for education thought-leaders who create new and innovative projects using Google for Education tools.
Once you decide what level fits your teaching style and time commitment, the next step is to study and take the exam.
How do you finally become a Google Certified Educator?
Each of the four levels has a course and exam you must pass to gain certification. Google for Education Certified Trainers and Innovators must also submit an application.
- Google Certified Educator Level 1: Work through the Fundamentals course and take the GCE1 exam.
- Google Certified Educator Level 2: Finish the Advanced course and take the GCE2 exam.
- Google for Education Certified Trainer: Go through the Trainer Learning Center, take the Trainer Essentials exam and submit an online application.
- Google for Education Certified Innovators: Finish the Advanced course, take the GCE2 exams and submit an online application.
You can either work on your own to go through these levels or work with a Google Certified Trainer for face-to-face instruction.
Deciding to take that next step to become a Google Certified Educator can help you take your classroom and learning experience to the next level and show your dedication to ed tech. How many levels have you gone through? Tell us in the comments below.